Monday, June 30, 2008

Whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ

I kinda dislike not penning certain thoughts down. So here goes.

Its kinda interesting to see Toe change. Suddenly being so practical and thrifty, always thinking abt saving money, claiming to be influenced by Deb. Then we somehow talked till he commented that jia jia is increasingly wearing shorter skirts, abt JC, and about RJ being a crazy promoter of clubbing, claiming that Rj has so many events which involves clubs, and you really need strong values to resist them( Oh it was cause he was telling thambi not to club). And thus seeing his values on clubbing after being overseas. Haha. Oh well.

Oh, this is even more random. My sense of beauty is so skewed by people having long hair(obviously im talking abt females). Just ask my sis or even my childhood friends. I wonder whether its an adolescence thing that happened!

I guess life kinda seems meaningless for now- at least i have not found something meaningful to fill my time with. I don't know. I don't really look forward to weekdays even though its a new environment with new friends to make and ppl waiting to hear the gospel. Looking forward to weeekends start to seem stupid- cause their rather dissapointing. When it funally comes, even when its a only halfway done on a sat, i'm like ok, so what. Yf ok so what. Sun ok so what. I guess i should start doing things with more purpose in mind rather than going through the routine. Rev Edmund Chan, was right. We are in an age where we're so busy doing things but we so often forget why we do certain things. We think that we think alot, but in actual fact, we dont. We go through routines, have goals, without thinking through the true purpose and reason behind so many things we do. Ben reminded me on this. Haha. And we talked about success. Haha. And its quite interesting to be reminded that, all our talents, successes, achievements, good results, are nothing but FILTHY RAGS in God's eyes. They are nothing to Him. Simply, God doesn't want us to think of seeking to do well for Him in results, in achievements. He wants our service. He wants our praise. He wants our life, our life surrended to Him. This beautiful verses came to mind.

Php 3:7 But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.
Php 3:8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ
Php 3:9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith--
Php 3:10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,
Php 3:11 that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.
Php 3:12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.
Php 3:13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead,
Php 3:14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
Php 3:15 Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you.
Php 3:16 Only let us hold true to what we have attained.
Php 3:17 Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us.
Php 3:18 For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ.
Php 3:19 Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things.
Php 3:20 But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,
Php 3:21 who will transform our lowly body to be like his glorious body, by the power that enables him even to subject all things to himself.

Do you know what it means to count everything we have, as a lost for Christ? It is a mindset/ motives rather than the outcome. All we do, is for Him. Nothing else! Surrender All! Why focus on doing well, on achieving something, than giving those up, and do things for His kingdom. Thats what Jesus' disciples did. They took their cross and followed Him. What are we doing? Are we truly going through our daily lives for Him? Or merely He someone who we should love, should learn more about, but forget that, in everthing, is for His glorification. Even the little conversations. Even the little actions. Even the way we spend our time.

Sorry this coincides with some personal self reflection than having much relation to others. I'm thinking through certain things. I feel like i have a point to prove, than a loss for Christ to give. Of course all the talk of fulfilling responsibilities comes in. Thats true. Balance is impt. I'm just pondering over what Jesus said giving it all up for His sake. Like i was talking with Adrian. This world has became a narcissictic society. So much that we do revolves around us and self glorification/ self love rather than Him and His sake. I have tendency to look at others and say yes many do not seem like they try. But i look at myself and i know how much i fail myself too. I think my motivation of a point to prove is wrong. But its more complicated than that. And i need to think through with lotsof of prayer and submitting to God(something i always forget to do) before i really decide on taking this step.

Oh sorry. All this also coincides with a personal problem with faith. Problems start piling especially for me not having spiritual disciplines to do QT and purposeful prayer. And before i know it, God is kinda distant again. So many reminders for myself. But i'm glad NISS is here to give me some purposeful things to start working on for QT and studying God's word everyday. Reminders about unclean talk/actions, and encouragements, even for others and myself. :)

Rom 14:14 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself, but it is unclean for anyone who thinks it unclean.

1Co 10:23 "All things are lawful," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful," but not all things build up.
1Co 10:24 Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor.

Eph 4:29 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

1Th 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
1Th 5:12 We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you,
1Th 5:13 and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves.
1Th 5:14 And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all.
1Th 5:15 See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone.
1Th 5:16 Rejoice always,
1Th 5:17 pray without ceasing,
1Th 5:18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1Th 5:19 Do not quench the Spirit.
1Th 5:20 Do not despise prophecies,
1Th 5:21 but test everything; hold fast what is good.
1Th 5:22 Abstain from every form of evil.
1Th 5:23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1Th 5:24 He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home